Honolulu may seem like an odd place to go to run a marathon. Even in winter, the weather is generally warm and humid – not ideal marathoning conditions by most people’s standards – and the course includes a couple of hills around the Diamond Head crater. But for 24,413 who participated in last year’s Honolulu Marathon, Honolulu makes great sense as a destination marathon. A few facts about the Honolulu Marathon:
- 2nd Sunday in December (December 8, 2013)
- 26 miles (42 km)
- 24,413 participants in 2012 (12,532 men and 11,537 women)
- Average completion time: 6.09 hrs
- The fastest male to place first in last year’s marathon was from Kenya; he completed the race in 2.12 hrs!
- The fastest female to cross the finish line was from Russia and she ran the entire 26 miles in 2:31 hrs!
- The record for the fastest marathon runner was held by Jimmy Muindi from Kenya who finished the 2004 race in just 2:11 hrs!